The Review of Snagit and Its Best Alternative
Snagit, developed by TechSmith in 1990, is a screenshot program that is very easy and convenient to capture anything on the screen, such as a small region of your screen, wide panoramic scrolls, infinitely scrolling webpages, and more. As the oldest screen capture software, Snagit is featured by its powerful and practical functions. But now, it is getting harder and harder to satisfy diverse and complex needs of users. So, this post will not only have a review of Snagit, but also share the best alternative to Snagit.
Snagit Review: Pros and Cons
Snagit is an excellent screen capture product that focuses more on taking still screenshots. It has three modules to choose from: All-in-One, Image and Video. All-in-One allows you to capture what's going on your screen and take screenshots without interrupting your recording. Image and Video are self-explanatory: They both give you expanded options for capturing screenshots and videos.
Although Snagit is also good at capturing video, its editing tools are almost exclusively designed for still images. This capturing tool comes up short when it comes to the tools to edit videos since Snagit is mainly a screen-capture program. For more specific review, continue reading to get more detailed information of Snagit.
- It can quickly capture your desktop screen including a small region of your screen, wide panoramic scrolls, infinitely scrolling webpages, and more.
- It allows users to modify and annotate the captured content with the built-in editor.
- It is able to turn any short screen recording into an animated GIF.
- It can toggle between webcam and screen recording during video.
- In addition to screen recording features, it boasts some basic editing tools, like stamp, crop, resize, special effects and more.
- It can record video calls from VoIP applications such as Skype.
- It is not the free screenshot software. You have to pay for $49.95 to enjoy its powerful features.
- Users have to use your email account to work with the software.
- If you just need a capturing tool to take a screenshot simply, Snagit seems overwhelming in extensive settings.
- While image-editing options in Snagit are excellent, it only provides minimal video-editing tools.
Best Alternative to Snagit to Capture Screen
Aiseesoft Screen Recorder is the best and most professional alternative of Snagit. This screen Capture tool allows you to produce the highest quality screenshots easily with simple clicks. It offers you a full screen or customized screen to choose as the recording area. What’s more, you can use it to record all on-screen activities to make video tutorials, capture webcam video, record games, audio and more as you want in high quality. And you can also find various editing features while recording your screen. If you want a full array of image-editing and video-editing tools, be sure to investigate Aiseesoft Screen Recorder software.
1. Shoot the entire screen, custom region or fixed region based on your needs.
2. Annotate your screenshot and recording with a text box, highlight, arrow and more.
3. Record computer screen, PS4 gameplay, streaming video, webcam videos, online lectures, video calls, etc.
4. Capture the sound from multiple sources, like system audio or microphone audio with original quality.
5. Record audio and video in popular format like MP4, MOV, MP3, WMA, AAC, M4A and more.
6. Shortcut button to capture video and audio with keyboard only.
7. It can create a schedule to record the selected sound source that runs on your desktop to start or stop at a certain time.
8. It is compatible with both Windows and Mac.
Free DownloadFor Windows 7 or laterSecure Download
Free DownloadFor MacOS 10.7 or laterSecure Download
FAQs of Capturing Your Screen with Snagit
1. How do I take a scrolling screenshot in Snagit?
All you have to do is open Snagit and navigate to the Input drop-down list at the bottom of the window. Then, click the drop-down arrow and select Scrolling Window option. After that, click the Capture button. Now, open your browser and visit a web page that requires you to scroll to view it. Then, click Capture Entire Scrolling Area. Snagit will capture everything visible on the window and create a single image that you can edit.
2. Does Snagit record audio?
Snagit can record audio from your computer’s microphone or a USB microphone. On the Video Recording toolbar, click the Microphone Audio button. Microphone audio recording is enabled when the button is green. In order to make sure the selected device is on and connected properly, speak as you would during recording.
3. How much is Snagit?
A single license of Snagit costs $49.95. TechSmith also offers volume discounts, as well as discounts for educational and government licenses. For more specific information, you need to check its official website.
4. Is there a free version of Snagit?
While Snagit doesn’t have a completely free option, it does come with a free, full-featured trial to get you started. If you want to a cheaper one, you can try Aiseesoft Screen Recorder Screen Recorder to capture your screen.