VLC Media Player – A Brief Review Video Player and Best Alternatives on Windows and Mac
What are the best alternatives to VLC Media Player? As one of the most popular video players for Windows and Mac, VLC Media Player has some advanced features, especially for play video files. But what are the best alternatives when the VLC player does not work? Just learn more about the simple review of VLC Media Player, as well as the 5 best alternatives from the article. Just learn more about the features and choose the desired one according to your requirement.
Part 1: A Simple Review about VLC Media Player
Just as mentioned above, VLC Media Player is one of the most popular media players for all platforms. It is available for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, and iOS. There are some advanced features, such as converting any file format, streaming and downloading YouTube videos, record video, and audio files, and even create bookmarks. Of course, VLC Media Player should be an excellent media player.
- 1. Support most video and audio formats, including the DVD/folder/ISO.
- 2. Provide frame-to-frame playback, speed control, and even finer playback.
- 3. Play videos from Internet Radio, hard drive, online streaming, and Podcasts.
- 4. Tweak the video and audio settings, normalization, and sync file to devices.
- 5. Enable you to play videos as ASCII characters, jigsaw puzzle, and more.
Part 2: Why VLC Media Player Does Not Work
What is the best troubleshooting when you encounter no sound or other problems of VLC Media Player? Here are some frequently asked questions you should know as below.
1. Why Audio Not Working on VLC Media Player?
Of course, you can check the VLC audio settings, which you can go to the Tools menu and select the Preference option. Then you can tweak the different parameters, such as the Enable time-stretching audio option. After that, you can check the Windows Volume Mixer to find whether the audio of the VLC Media Player works.
2. How to Fix VLC Media Player Lagging or Shuttering?
If you have some problems with the video playback, you can change the caching value, disable the hardware-accelerated decoding, or change the video output module. Of course, you can also choose a professional VLC Media Player alternative to playback the high-quality movies.
3. How to Fix VLC Media Player Keeps Crashing?
Have another check for the media file with another media player, check the compatibility settings for the program. If you are not able to play MKV files with VLC Media Player, you can also disable the pre-loading MKV files to find whether it works.
Part 3: 5 Best Alternatives to VLC Media Player
What should you do if VLC Media Player does not work? If you just need to use VLC as the default media player, or need to use another media player as a temporary solution, the online video player should be the best choice. Of course, you can find more alternatives to VLC Media Player as below.
Method 1: FVC Free Video Player
If you just need a temporary media player alternative to VLC Media Player, FVC Free Video Player is the best method to play media files online. You can simply launch the online media player to play videos and DVDs with ease. It enables you to adjust the playing effects, take screenshots, custom playing process and more.
- 1. Provide an HTML5 based media player for most of the media formats.
- 2. Support the original video quality, such as 720P/1080P/UHD 4K videos.
- 3. Custom the playing process with the navigation slider, audio volume, etc.
- 4. Take some important snapshots during the video playback process.
- 5. Enjoy the 3D movies with the 3D glasses with the VLC alternative.
Method 2: GOM Media Player
GOM Media Player is a free VLC Media Player alternative that enables you to download different skins for decoration the user interface. It also supports all formats of videos and audio files and allows you to capture part audio from the whole video. But GOM Media Player only has a Windows version that cannot be used on other platforms.
- 1. Supports all formats of videos and audio files, such as MP4 and MP3.
- 2. Provide the automatic searches and sync subtitles as the VLC player.
- 3. Millions of skins are available to download to decorate the interface.
- 4. Enables you to download the media files or repair the damaged files.
Method 3: RealPlayer
RealPlayer is another great alternative to VLC Media Player for free. Besides the basic playback features, you can also download the videos, convert the videos to another format, or even keep your videos private with a password. It also supports a wide range of media formats, like AVI, MP4, MOV, FLV, and more others.
- 1. Allow users to download videos from YouTube during the playing process.
- 2. Supports all formats of videos and audio files with the original quality.
- 3. Convert videos into different formats and stream to other devices easily.
- 4. Play all major audio and video formats, flash video, DVD, SVCD, VCD, etc.
Method 4: MPlayerX for Mac
MPlayerX is an alternative to VLC Media Player for Mac. Because is it a media player based on FFmpeg and MPlayer that supports most videos and audio files. Moreover, you can take advantage of some advanced features, such as the playlist support, Apple remote service, and more other Apple devices.
- 1. Open-source media player for Mac based on both FFmpeg and MPlayer.
- 2. Support multi-touch, gesture control, playlist, Apple remote service, etc.
- 3. Integrated YouTube support that enables you to play online videos.
- 4. Recognize SPDIF cable automatically and output the raw DTS/AC3 stream.
Method 5: UM Player
When you need to adjust the best audio quality as the VLC Media Player, UM Player is another alternative. It supports most of the video codec, as well as the DVDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols. Moreover, the media player also has the advanced features for built-in subtitle search and YouTube player.
- 1. Support a wide range of file formats, such as MP4, MOV, QT, and VXID.
- 2. Build-in over 270 video and audio codecs that support most of the files.
- 3. Enable you to playback the damaged videos and scratched DVDs.
- 4. Subtitles search, skinnable interface, customizable hotkeys and more.
Of course, VLC Media Player is always the initial choice to play videos on your computer. Here are more solutions when the versatile media player does not work well. When you need to choose an alternative to the VLC player, FVC online video player is a recommended one you can take into consideration for playing videos online. If you have any query about the review, you can share more details in the comment.